Saturday, June 9, 2007

No Red, But Skin So Soft

Although I've asked twice, there seems to be a scarcity of red markers in the radiation oncology building, so I'm stuck with turquoise. Not bad, but a little high contrast when wearing an orange or red t-shirt. It really doesn't matter that much, since I'll be done with the radiation in 3 more treatments ending Wednesday, June 13. After that, it's into my resting period until surgery on July 17.

I see my radiation oncologist every Wednesday, just to check in and see how things are going. The technicians take plain X-rays the day before I see her, so that she can see if things are going as planned. So far, I'm doing swimmingly. I haven't had any problems with excessive fatigue (except when I put in 10 busy hours at work disciplining kids, running Cub Scout programs, and dealing with an accident involving the bookmobile, all at the same time), which was one concern the doctors suggested I might have to deal with. I have developed some irritation under my left armpit, largely due to the loss of my armpit hair from the radiation. I've switched to the Biafine cream, and it works well. It is like having a type of sunburn, in that it's tender to the touch. As it's always resting on my side (unless I raise my arm, which I do frequently), it's hard to keep it from rubbing. Put in perspective, it's a minor annoyance.

The radiation oncologist was surprised at how good the rest of my irradiated skin looked. When I told her that I had finished 4 of my 5 weeks of treatment, she seemed surprised and said that in that case my skin looked extremely good. I figure that if I keep up with the cream, the underarm irritation will subside greatly by the time of the surgery.

And so I'm coming down the home stretch of Phase 1, as I've come to think of it. Three more days. Truthfully, I'll miss the people I've met at the treatment center - it's been a pleasant way to start my days. But Phase 2 (rest) looms, and then Phase 3, surgery. Phase 4 is rehabilitation, which will probably be the toughest part of the entire process. Mentally, I feel ready for all the phases - the only way out of them is by going through them, so bring them on and I'll deal with what I have to deal with. It could be kind of fun, and it certainly will be an experience I'll never forget!

No comments: