Friday, July 13, 2007

Commencement

I title this entry "Commencement" because of something I remember from my high school graduation some 35 years ago, when a speaker said that although we call the end of a segment of our schooling commencement, the word itself denotes a beginning, not an ending. It seemed appropriate to me as I think of my last few days living with the "big arm" - using it in ways I'm not likely to be able to after surgery, thinking about how I haven't had my left arm flush against my side in 6 months, wondering how life as I've known it for 52 years will shortly change - that this is precisely the case here and now. A part of my life is ending; another part of my life is just beginning. This is simply the journey I've been given. It's neither bad nor good, just what is. My journey. In some ways it's pretty exciting, because everything I'll face will be absolutely new. It's a chance to learn so much more about myself as a person, and a chance to grow. Perhaps it's not the way I would have chosen to do it, but it is the way I have been given to pursue. And so I will, with eyes wide open and a willingness to make the most of it. The unknowns will be knowns quite shortly. And, really, the only way out of what I'm about to go into is to go through it and come out the other end.

I'm coming into the last few days before the actual surgery happens. The radiation burn on the arm has largely healed - just a little rough skin, most of which will be gone after the operation Tuesday.

I spent Wednesday the 11th getting a final MRI, pre-op physical, and meeting with my surgeon, Dr. Weber. Pretty much what I expected, although it was a long day. I'm told my left arm will never be as strong as it once was, but it will be functional. The only dicey part may be that a nerve that lifts my wrist back may or may not be overrun by the tumor. They won't know until they open me up, but if it is compromised, then they'll have to remove it and do a nerve transplant. In that case, they would take a nerve from near my ankle and transplant it into my arm to replace the one sacrificed to remove the tumor. The downside is that the recovery time for that would be around 1 year. Still, the nerves that allow me to make a fist will be intact, and a year isn't too long if I get to keep a functioning arm. Dr. Weber assures me that I'll still be able to do photography.

Per Dr. Weber, I'll probably be in surgery for about 6-7 hours, then to the ICU for recovery. After that, I'll have a private room in the Weinberg Center at Hopkins, where I'll be for up to a week. It could be less, depending on complications (or a lack thereof). Then I'll be at my Mom's recuperating for a week more. By then, as my reconstructive surgeon, Dr. Singh, says, I should be feeling like a human being again and I should be well along to recovering from the surgical procedures. I'm looking forward to finishing the final Harry Potter book during that time.

Until next Tuesday, I'm getting the house and bills in order, arranging for cat care and the like, and enjoying the last few days before surgery by doing things like mowing grass and having dinners with friends. I'll continue blogging after the surgery as I'm able and as I have access to the Net. On to the next part of the adventure!


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Uncle Steve,
This is my first time on your blog and I am so touched. You courage and outlook are so insipring; I am in total awe of you . Please know that you are always in my prayers and I can't wait to see you when I get home.

Love you,
Sydney

Nyrahs said...

I hope all went well with the surgery. I have spent lots of time at the Weinberg Building. I was there last Thursday with hubby while he was getting his chemo and I had nothing to do for 6 hours -- I should have come visit you. Everyone at Hopkins is wonderful. This is our 3rd journey in 6 years and hopefully this one will turn out as well as the others. Take care.

Aiyana said...

Hope all went well with your surgery and that you are on the mend.

You have a well-written blog. I bookmarked it after I randomly ran into it a couple of months ago and I liked your style.

Best wishes,
Aiyana

steve said...

Aiyana,
Thanks for your support, and I'll have much more coming now that I can sit up at the keyboard and type one-handed. In fact, today (7/28) is my first time back on.

All the best to you,
Steve

steve said...

nyrahs,

All went very well with the surgery, better than expected by the surgeons. I wish you would have stopped by, but I certainly appreciate that you had other things on your mind. Thank you for your kind support, and I hope all goes well for you and your husband during this third journey. And I agree with you that everyone I dealt with in the Weinberg was wonderful. I made a point of telling them that, too.

Be well and strong, and all my best to you and your husband.

Steve

steve said...

Hey Sydney!

Thanks for checking out the blog. I'm glad you found it inspiring. It'll be great to see you, too. Actually, the doctors have cleared me to go to Cape May, so I'll be there if you pop in for a day like last year.

Look forward to seeing you soon!

Uncle Steve